HMS Benbow (1913): A Squadron Flagship That Fought Through the Fog at Jutland

A Flagship From the Start
HMS Benbow was built by William Beardmore and Company, her keel laid on 30 May 1912 and launched on 12 November 1913, with fitting-out work completing in October 1914, just weeks after the outbreak of the First World War. An Iron Duke-class battleship displacing up to 29,560 tons at full load, she carried ten 13.5-inch guns in five twin turrets and could make 21.25 knots, joining the 4th Battle Squadron on 1 December 1914 and being declared fit for service that December, going on to serve as the squadron's flagship until June 1916.
Firing Blind at Jutland
Benbow fought at the Battle of Jutland between 31 May and 1 June 1916 under Captain Henry Wise Parker, opening fire at 6:30pm but facing significant visibility problems throughout the engagement, the kind of thick haze and smoke that plagued much of the battle and made accurate gunnery extraordinarily difficult even for well-handled ships. She fired forty 13.5-inch armour-piercing shells and sixty 6-inch rounds during the battle, though without any confirmed hits, a reminder that even the largest naval battle in history involved long stretches where powerful ships simply could not see well enough to hit what they were aiming at. She took part in further sorties in August 1916 and April 1918 attempting to draw out the German High Seas Fleet, though with similarly minimal results.
The Black Sea and the Greco-Turkish War
Benbow's postwar career proved considerably more eventful than her wartime one. Transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet's 4th Squadron, later renumbered the 3rd Squadron, she took part in Black Sea operations supporting White Russian forces during the Russian Civil War between April 1919 and June 1920, and provided support during the Greco-Turkish War that June and July, genuinely significant interventions in two of the era's most consequential regional conflicts. She underwent a refit at Malta in 1922 and transferred to the Atlantic Fleet in March 1926, becoming squadron flagship again on 12 May 1928.
The End of the Line
Benbow was paid off in 1929 and placed on the sale list in September 1930, sold for scrap in January 1931 and broken up that March by Metal Industries of Rosyth, arriving there on 5 April 1931, part of the broader wave of older dreadnought-era battleships scrapped in the wake of interwar naval disarmament treaties, her genuinely active postwar record in the Black Sea and eastern Mediterranean a rather more eventful legacy than her comparatively quiet performance at Jutland might have suggested.