HMS Caesar (R07): From Arctic Convoys to Leading a Cold War Destroyer Squadron

Built as Ranger, Renamed Caesar
HMS Caesar was built by John Brown and Company on the Clyde, her keel laid on 6 April 1943 under the name Ranger, before being renamed Caesar and launched on 14 February 1944, commissioning that October. She was a Ca sub-class C-class destroyer built specifically as a flotilla leader, displacing 1,730 tons standard and up to 2,575 tons at deep load, driven by two geared steam turbines producing 40,000 shaft horsepower for a top speed of 36 knots. She carried four 4.5-inch dual-purpose guns, a twin 40mm Bofors mount, six 20mm Oerlikon guns, four 21-inch torpedo tubes and substantial depth charge equipment, a well-armed and fast destroyer built at the very end of the war.
Arctic Convoys and a Voyage East
HMS Caesar was allocated to the 6th Destroyer Flotilla of the Home Fleet on commissioning, escorting Arctic convoys and capital ships through the final, still genuinely dangerous months of the war in Europe, work that continued right up until Germany's surrender despite the diminishing threat from a Kriegsmarine by then reduced to a fraction of its earlier strength. With the war in Europe over, HMS Caesar transferred to the Far East in June 1945, joining the East Indies Fleet at Trincomalee that August, arriving just as the war against Japan itself was drawing to its close.
A Thorough Cold War Rebuild
HMS Caesar underwent a substantial modernisation at Rosyth between 1957 and 1960, receiving a new bridge, updated fire control systems and Squid anti-submarine mortars, a comprehensive rebuild that brought a wartime-designed hull up to a standard fit for continued Cold War service. She recommissioned in September 1960 as leader of the 8th Destroyer Squadron, a role of genuine responsibility that reflected the confidence placed in her rebuilt capabilities, commanding a squadron of destroyers through the early 1960s.
A Quiet Retirement
HMS Caesar was paid off in June 1965 and de-equipped at Chatham, her long service, spanning the final desperate months of the Second World War and a full Cold War modernisation, finally at an end. She was sold to Hughes Bolckow on 13 December 1966 and scrapped at Blyth in Northumberland, arriving there on 6 January 1967, closing out the career of a destroyer that had begun life under one name, fought under another, and ended her days leading a squadron in a navy transformed almost beyond recognition from the one she had originally joined.