HMS Diadem (84): From Covering the Tirpitz Raids to Pakistan's Flagship

Built on the Tyne
HMS Diadem was built by Hawthorn Leslie and Company at Hebburn-on-Tyne, her keel laid on 15 December 1939, launched on 26 August 1942 and completed on 6 January 1944, a Dido-class light cruiser of the Bellona subgroup, a modified design carrying four turrets and strengthened anti-aircraft armament that reflected hard-won lessons from the early years of the war.
Covering the Tirpitz Raids
Diadem's war began with Arctic convoy duty, and in early 1944 she provided cover for the Fleet Air Arm's carrier raids against the German battleship Tirpitz, lurking in her Norwegian fjord, one of the most persistent and dangerous targets of the entire naval war, tying down a disproportionate share of Allied naval resources simply by existing.
D-Day and the Brittany Coast
In June 1944, Diadem formed part of Force G during the Normandy invasion, providing gunfire support as Allied forces stormed ashore, before going on to offensive patrols off the Brittany coast. On 12 August 1944, she and accompanying destroyers sank the German auxiliary Sperrbrecher 7, a useful and satisfying piece of coastal interdiction work in the weeks following the landings.
A Brush With German Destroyers
From September 1944, Diadem returned to covering Russian convoys and carrier raids along the Norwegian coast, and on 28 January 1945 found herself engaging three German destroyers alongside HMS Mauritius, a sharp surface action that left the German destroyer Z31 damaged, a genuinely dramatic reminder that gun-on-gun naval combat had not entirely given way to aircraft and submarines even in the war's final months.
Postwar Service and Reserve
After the war, Diadem remained with the 10th Cruiser Squadron and served on with the Home Fleet until 1950, before spending the following six years in reserve, part of the large surplus of wartime cruisers for which peacetime Britain had steadily less use.
A Long Second Life as PNS Babur
Diadem's sale to Pakistan was announced on 29 February 1956, and after a refit at Portsmouth she was formally handed over on 5 July 1957, entering Pakistani service as PNS Babur. She went on to serve through both the 1965 and 1971 conflicts between Pakistan and India, a substantial and eventful second career, before being renamed Jahangir in 1982 and finally broken up in 1985, bringing to a close more than four decades of service under two flags.